Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Wonderful World of Filipinized Reality TV (Part 1)

Like everyone else who adores the boob tube, I lurve Reality TV. There’s something unexplainable about looking at the inane but intimate lives of strangers making them extremely riveting. There is a certain astute complexity in the way people that we normally regard as boring, could transform into superfluous creatures worthy of our time. Anyway, I compiled a list of Reality TV series that are based from a foreign franchise. I classified them as Revolting, Undecided and Riveting.

Revolting

Pinoy Idol

Yech. Millions of pesos down the drain.
Honestly, I am a big fan of GMA singing contests simply because they really can deliver! Shows such as piNOY POP SUPerstar have produced singers that are unequivocally world class. GMA clearly stepped on a faux pas on this one, hands down.

Where they were wrong-

Firstly, the premise of the singing competition Idol in itself is quite controversial. Though it is solely a singing competition, choosing the winners will really rely not necessarily on the basis of vocal abilities of a contestant but rather on his/her ability to garner viewer votes. Yeah one can say that ultimately, the show is looking for the next Pop Superstar but then again, on the merits of musicality, this is where the debacle usually starts.

Pinoy Idol is one big example. (Renaming the show to Pinoy Idol from last year’s Philippine Idol was actually a blessing in disguise. Those who joined last year’s competition won’t have to waft this year’s shit). First faux pas – the judges. Last year’s roster, with the exception of La Pilita, was actually great. Ryan Cayabyab is music fundamentals personified! Francis M on the other hand will always be a music icon of the Philippine Pop Culture. And now enters Ogie Alcasid, Jolina Magdangal, and Wyngard Tracy. Yeah Ogie is right on, being one of the best singer and songwriter in the PI, but taking in those other 2 as judges was like a prank gone bad. Jolina is cutesy in all fairness, but seeing her give advices to aspiring singers when she herself is not even close to being a good one is really very hard to swallow. I don’t hate her or anything but it could’ve been best if the show got a senior one (not necessarily age, e.q. Mamita) like Jaya or Kyla for example. Now the deal with Wyngard is just weird. I’m pretty sure he was just splotched in with the three to provide the “Simon Cowell” character. He is really unnecessary. If they wanted a true-blue bitch to earn for them the much coveted ratings, they could’ve asked Celia Rodriguez instead of this person. Again, I have nothing against him, since I don’t even know Wyngard, all my salivatory elocutions are based from my experiences as an avid watcher of the show, well if I actually have the stomach to listen to all performances. Second faux pas – the contestants. Considering that they did an over-publicized nationwide audition for Pinoy Idol, it would follow that they could’ve discovered the next best thing in music. WRONG! Yeah there were a couple of hits here and there but ultimately, I can’t give a shit about the top 12, my gosh 2 of them are “rockers” one hideous, the other gross, eew that’s all I can say. And lastly, of course as expected, since the show’s premise started flimsy, the ending would likewise be the same. Case in point – the winner, Gretchen from a wealthy family in Tacloban (I’m not insinuating that they probably bought truckloads of sim cards or anything) whose voice I can’t even remember.

PBB (Pinoy Big Brother)

Honestly, I was a big fan during the early episodes of Season 1. Whether we admit it or not, watching the show is like nursing our voyeuristic side. We secretly are very interested in spying the private lives of strangers. My interest greatly heightened when Sam Milby came in. I mean he was really gorgeous, prior to all gay accusations and whatnot, but then he still is even amidst all gossips. Anyway, my interest waned when the ABS CBN stigma came in. Aargh! If GMA7 is synonymous to Barok or Jologs, ABS CBN is the epitome of over-sensationalism; you know rubbing the “in” thing in front of your face until you get sick of it. It is common knowledge that they even sensationalize news. So as expected, when the show’s ratings kept on going up, they have to infuse in their sickening formula. First example, letting in all the tear-jerkers. There should at least be one crying session per episode. It’s alright if I’m watching a Judy Ann Santos soap, but heck it’s reality tv! Yeah crying everyday is pretty much a part of life… if there are cameras all around you! Second example – the tasks. Their tasks are so mundane I can’t even think straight. Let’s just say that if ever I was one of the housemates and I was given any one of their idiotic tasks, I will flick my middle finger in front of all 50 cameras, mouthing words that’ll eventually sound as a heart monitor during post editing. Third and last, the disembodied voice of “Kuya” is downright gut-wrenching, bowel inducing annoying. Again, if I were a housemate, and I hear kuya say Housemates… I’ll scream FUCK YOU!!!
to be continued...

No comments: