Monday, September 22, 2008

The Wonderful World of Filipinized Reality TV (Part 2)

Hi Kids! Last time I presented my personal Filipinized Reality TV shows that I deem revolting. Revolting as in yech-I-just-vomited-in-my-mouth. As I’ve said, I have three categories to classify these shows. Revolting, Undecided, and Riveting. Since Revolting was done and over with, here comes Undecided.

Undecided (Gray area. I can’t quite place my feelings of whether I love or hate these shows).

Project Runway Philippines

Of course like all men raised well, I love the original Project Runway brouhaha. Putting a group of highly creative individuals in a controlled setting will likely lead to surprise endings, and not to mention catfights. Since I love the show so much, ergo it will follow that I will love the Filipino version of it. Yeah, sometimes.

What I love about the show:

Filipino creativity and ingenuity is always fun to watch. No matter what the adversary is, we will always see the light at the end of the tunnel, the sun beyond clouds, and whatever bullshit that symbolizes winning over adversaries. We can be likened to cockroaches that refuse to die even after trampled upon. Hahaha. The show is also a very good venue for additional proof that we Filipinos are really very much ready to have air kisses with the likes of the oddly grotesque Donnatella Versace, the flamboyant and colorful Donna Karan, and all the other internationally known names in fashion.

The show was really very religious to the US concept, a facet that is very important to earn credibility points. Of course since we don’t have the caliber of a German international top model as versatile and hot as Heidi Klum, we have to make do of what we have.

What I hate about the show:

For a show that is majorly comprised of gay designers, the show isn’t gay enough. It’s as stiff as a morning woodie! Send in the drama! Bring in the tears and catfights! Also, it is very unforgivable for me to dismiss our local dialects. If talking in English causes nosebleed to the talker, by all means, talk in the vernacular, or write it down, or do sign languages! It’s very hypocritical and very funny (in a sad way, talk about oxymorons!).

(I have a question. Could Joji Lloren be any gayer? Whenever I see him on-screen he reminds me of a Cirque de Soleil production, I dunno why.)

I can’t place my emotions about Teresa Herrera. She’s beautiful yes, but it feels like she’s wishing that she’d rather be somewhere else whenever she does her spiels. Her connection towards the contestants is akin to a boss housemaid relationship not host and contestant. It’s also sad that the partner magazine will have to be Mega. I mean, does anybody read that shit?


Philippines Next Top Model

Again, like all men raised well, I love the America’s Next Top Model, all seasons of it. (Although I’m pretty sure that most of the contestants are still the same outcasts even after their respective shows are off the air). Each episode is comprised of 5 soap operas combined in 1 show. Filipinos being suckers for drama, PNTM won’t surely disappoint, sometimes.

What I love about the show:

I love Wilam Doesnt. (I actually watch her talk show with Lucy. Without her, it’s like watching a lobotomized version of a Chinese cooking show aired during Sundays). Therefore, having her as a judge was a welcome treat. Robbie Carmona wasn’t bad either.

Again, the show was really very religious to the US concept, right from the lalalalalala tune during the opening credits to the usual Tyra Banks Spiel – you’re still in the running towards becoming America’s (Philippines’) Next Top Model.

The contestants were comprised of a yummy mix of personalities. A feisty statuesque lady from Cebu, a dark-skinned beauty from North Luzon (of course Wilma’s favorite, at first) and some interspersing of Chinitas of various chinkyness.

What I hate about the show:

It’s shown in RPN 9, where no one really tunes in to. The reception was always very ludicrous (coming from someone with no TV production background).

Ruffa is sometimes hard to watch. If she was channeling Tyra, she’ll be tearing her hair-weaves in one strong pull. The lady from Preview magazine was actually better.

The commercial shoot that they had was extremely memorable. Not because it was so good. It was so bad it stenched until now.
to be continued...

No comments: